Friday, October 28, 2011

Cycle 1 Reflections

こんばんは!

すみません、it has been quite a while since my last blog post! Let's hope I do a better job during cycle 2 of posting more interest-related posts and less boring evaluations! That said, it's time for another one.

So...I have also been less than superb at following my pronunciation goals plans during cycle 1. I completed about half of my pronunciation goals. ざねんだですね! I did indeed call my father more than once a week (surpassing my goal!) and spoke to him in Japanese for quite sometime. Since my dad also just learned how to text (かわいそう)I have been texting with him in Japanese too! A pleasant surprise! In speaking with my father on the phone in Japanese, I was impressed that--for the first time--I noticed that he has a strong accent I am not used to! I assume this is an Okinawan accent, since that is where he is from. Anyway, it was cool to realize that I was familiar enough with the sounds I had been hearing in class that I noticed the difference between わたしの せんせえの にほんご and わたしの ちちの にほんご. I also did follow through with asking あたしの ともだち who speaks Japanese for Japanese song suggestions! He gave met a few, but I have yet to post them to this blog! I will try to do that in the next few days. I also have to add them to my iTunes so I can listen to them on my iPod--I'll be traveling to Paris for this fall vacation, so I'll have lots of hours on the airplane to listen to Japanese. I also followed through in downloading the NHK news podcast. That said, I have yet to upload it to my iPod. Again, however, I now have a bunch of episodes to listen to on the plane! I'll be uploading those after I complete this post. Finally, I think I have been doing a good job of listening to わたしの せんせえ's pitch and intonation. I have noticed that mine has improved and my facility with pitch has improved as well. I think that this showed today during my oral exam. Speaking にほんご while sounding にほんじん was much easier than it has ever been! I think that while I did not succeed in following my other pronunciation goal steps (all of the japanese language tables have unfortunately conflicted with my schedule so far and I have not yet gone to do any more shadowing...), I think that I actually did perform well today in the oral exam. I felt impressively fluent with the sentences that my partner and I had practiced as well as typical Japanese active listening phrases. Using the appropriate pitch and intonation felt easier today, as well. What I do need to improve upon, however, is my vocab/grammar itself! I was not prepared for many of the questions that しばた せんせえ asked me and as a result I used some improper grammar (wrong particles, I think) and couldn't find the appropriate vocal word (whether or not I learned it).

Here's to doing a better job of following my plan (and posting on my blog!) during Cycle 2!

がんばります!

No comments:

Post a Comment